 Robotics / 12732
RE: The Datalog
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics
Date:
Tue, 10 Oct 2000 17:00:14 GMT

I have noticed a number of comments about the RCX byte code
system, including this thread, which would like to see some sort of
datalog read function.

My question is;

Does Lego have a copyright on the byte code interpretation?

I'm not sure about that, but they certainly have disclaimers on the
firmware itself, which prevents us from reverse engineering it.

Now, the original intent was probably to prevent a competitor from
designing a system which was compatible with Mindstorms. In fact,
it's amazing that they have been as hands off as they have been.

If not, then wouldn't it be possible to use the LegOS development
environment to build a replacement to firm0328 which would include
some extra byte codes for such functions?

You can build replacement firmware with many differnet tools, but so
far we have been good enough not to touch the LEGO supplied offerings.

I have been mulling over hacking the standard firmware (for my own private
use) to see if my servo code could be wedged in. It uses another
OC interrupt to do its thing.

I think that instead of using NQC to get around this, that it would be
easier to use a cygwin compatible version of the tools and use straight
C as the code.

Of course, if all you really want is arrays and servo control, you
*could* take the time to learn pbForth. And the new book (in the
sigline below) even has two chapters on it!

Cheers,

Ralph Hempel - P.Eng

<http://www.hempeldesigngroup.com/lego/pbForth>

Buy "Extreme Mindstorms: an Advanced Guide to Lego Mindstorms"
<http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/1893115844/hempeldesigngrou>
Reply to:      rhempel at bmts dot com