 Robotics / 12511
Re: Advice on Rotation sensors and steering please.
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics
Date:
Thu, 21 Sep 2000 18:15:40 GMT

In lugnet.robotics, sjbaker1@airmail.net writes:

* I heard that the rotation sensor can lose count if it rotates too
fast for software to keep up.  Can anyone give me an idea of what
a 'sensible' rate is?  I guess it's a compromise between precision
and risk of count lossage.

I have run into "count loss" using the rotation sensors also.  I found that
anything above 40RPM is somewhat problematic.  I imagine the exact numbers
depend upon the size of the program you are running and how it is designed.
But no matter what the speed I seem to loose counts occasionally.  To get
around this I use a touch sensor to home the rotation sensor every once in a
while.

* In the pseudo-code, I have 'slow down wheel-N'.  There seems to be
a suprising variety of ways to do that..although there isn't actually
a 'speed' control! :

    + I can set the motor output to 'Off'.
    + I can momentarily apply 'OnRev'
    + I can reduce the 'power' from 7 to something
      smaller...either suddenly or gradually.
    + I can 'float' the motor output.
    + I can do a combination of these things.

Which of these things works best?  Does the choice depend on the wheel
size/tyre type/gearing/robot weight - or this there simply 'one best
way' ?

You are correct in that it depends greatly upon the design of the robot.  If
it doesn't require much energy to spin the gear train, varying the motor power
has almost no effect.  Just think of riding your bike along a flat road on a
calm day.  Your speed doesn't vary greatly if you peddle continuously, or for
short bursts with coasting in between.  So use motor power only if you have a
lot of friction, or are lifting something.

Floating the motor has a greater effect than adjusting motor power.  I have
found this technique to work very well for wheeled vehicles with a caster.

Turning the motor off is nice in that the response is immediate.  Sometimes I
use this in conjunction with floating.  Picking which mode to use dependant on
how much steering is required.