 Robotics / 12508
Re: Advice on Rotation sensors and steering please.
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics
Date:
Thu, 21 Sep 2000 15:17:39 GMT

Jerry Kalpin wrote:

Of course, for the back wheels you could join the two shafts in a differential
and the difference of the two would appear in the rotation of the casing
(don't forget some reverse gearing to make the sum zero for two motors going
in the same direction.  Over an hour's operation that would give you a very
accurate "difference" and save you one input.

Yes - but it doesn't tell me the distance travelled - I need that too.

Still, I guess that using one sensor in the differential for steering
and one on *one* of the wheels for distance would work better.  I guess
that the fact that the differential sensor wouldn't be rotating very
fast would also reduce the risk of dropped counts when driving really
fast.

Hmmmm - good idea....but I still need two sensors.

--
Steve Baker   HomeEmail: <sjbaker1@airmail.net>
              WorkEmail: <sjbaker@link.com>