 Robotics / 12447
Re: Purchasing RCX...Which Version?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics, lugnet.market.shopping
Date:
Mon, 18 Sep 2000 02:57:45 GMT

Eric,

I've noticed that some of the TRUs around here (Cleveland, Ohio) still have
both versions on their shelf, and the 1.0 has a big sticker on it saying
that you can get the software upgrade free.

The main difference is that 1.0 has the power adapter socket, where as the
1.5 doesn't.  How important this is depends on what you plan on doing with
the RCX.  Robots work best without cords.  But if you want to use it to
control your train layout, having the socket would be better.

Troy

Check Out Troy's Surplus Lego:
http://www.brickbay.com/store.asp?p=mnementh

Or my current eBay auctions:
http://cgi6.ebay.com/aw-cgi/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewListedItems&userid=mnementh2
--
"Eric Harshbarger" <eric@ericharshbarger.org> wrote in message

I have a similar question to Tim's. I'm finally gonna buy a Mindstorm's
Invention Kit. Is it possible to find 1.0 RCX still? Where can the best • deals
on Invention Systems be found?

thanx,

eric

In lugnet.robotics, "Tim Hatch" <vbq@myrealbox.com> writes:
Hello, Everyone:

I'm interested in purchasing an RCX, but from what I've read the 1.0 is =
a lot better than the 1.5 (and since they're still giving the upgrade =
kits free, what's the difference?).  Can anyone explain the differences =
between the 1.0 and 1.5 (extra parts, more RAM, etc.), along with =
suggestions on where to purchase each (Shop at Home?).  I'd like to be =
able to use it w/ my Palm, so IR compatibility matters.