 Robotics / 12445
Re: Purchasing RCX...Which Version?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics
Date:
Mon, 18 Sep 2000 01:21:26 GMT

I think I can answer all of these. I'll make down what I'm not certain
about, and my fellow list members can correct me as need be.

1. The only significant difference between the 1.0 and the 1.5 is the AC
port, which the 1.0 has, but the 1.5 lacks. There is a slight difference in
internal electronic components, but nothing that results in different
functionality or performance in any way. I would recommend the 1.0 with the
upgrade kit, but _only_ for the aforementioned reasons. The 1.5 has some
different parts, especially the coveted clutch gear, but, again, if you can
get the 1.0 and upgrade, you're better off, IMHO.

For almost everything you'd want to know about MindStorms, see Russell
Nelson's Lego MindStorms Internals Page at
http://www.crynwr.com/lego-robotics/

2. The only advantage of purchasing the RIS kit in different places is
price. I wouldn't pay more than the list of $200, but have seen discounts
down to close to $150--I think. I _did_ recently see version 1.0 kits with
the upgrade stickers on them at Toys-R-Us in Brockton, Massachusetts, so
there are still some of the older kits out there gathering dust.

3. [Not exactly sure about this one--but I do read everything that comes
through "the list," and this has been batted about quite a bit.] Because of
the modulation used on the Lego IR port, you will not be able to directly
program your RCX via the Palm--you'd need a serial card and the Lego
transceiver. However, you _can_ use the TV Remote emulator software that
will run on palm to emulate the Lego RCX remote, which will let you activate
motors and run specific programs, as well as start and stop them.

4. I believe you'll be able to get the CyberMaster via the Lego World Shop
when it reopens soon--it was supposed to reopen September 11, but they had
"some problems" with it.

--Doug Wilcox

"And you shall know the truth, and the truth shall make you free." (John
8:32.)
"But grow in grace, and in the knowledge of our Lord and Saviour Jesus
Christ.

Check out the Wilcox family at http://www.wilcoxfamily.net/

Find out what's cooking with Lego MindStorms at the Wilcox house at
http://www.wordsmithdigital.com/mindstorms/

See how to build your own light saber at
http://www.wordsmithdigital.com/saber/

Help promote Capitalism ... order books, videos, and more from Amazon.com
via http://www.wordsmithdigital.com/saber/books.htm

30 George Street
Brockton, MA 02302-3635
508-584-6853 phone
508-284-4408 cell
http://www.wilcoxfamily.net
http://www.wordsmithdigital.com
ICQ# 24868783
- Officially Registered in Dogbert's New Ruling Class