 Robotics / 12426
Re: sound design (Re: 2nd RCX AND PNEUMATICS)
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics
Date:
Thu, 14 Sep 2000 18:01:44 GMT

Juergen Stuber wrote:

I used a minimotor for steering a robot,
but it was very slow and jammed often.

Yup. You really have to use a belt somewhere in the drive train with these
motors, which allows it to slip instead of jamming.

I'd say they are
better for rotating decorations on space stations, radar and
the like, where the sound fits in well.

I'd tend to agree, although they can be useful in functional applications if you
are very careful. Sometimes I think they are more trouble than they are worth.
What I'd really like would be an 8 tooth gear that actually fits right onto the
motor instead of having to put it onto an axle and then into the friction pulley
thing.

Jennifer Clark