 Robotics / 12399
Re: 2nd RCX AND PNEUMATICS
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics
Date:
Wed, 13 Sep 2000 13:30:15 GMT

Patel wrote:

2) As the motors are weak to lift a load , for example if i made a hand and want to grip an object i find the gears skipping and cant         get  a good grip, can someone give a suggestion to over come this??

This generally not a problem with the motors, which can generate surprising amounts of torque particularly if geared down a lot. Rather, it is to do with the drive train tearing itself apart precisely because of this torque. You need to brace the drive train so that
the gears do not skip, sometimes to the point where either gears shatter on their axles or the motor stops when you hold the final "output" axle. Of course, not everyone is fond of such extremes, and a clutch gear or belt can be used to prevent such damage occuring.
Depending on where you place the cluth or belt in the drive train, it will start slipping when different amounts of torque are applied to the output axle. The Technic Space Shuttle (set 8480) has some excellent examples of this. The instructions can be found here:

   http://www.brickshelf.com/scans/8000/8480/

While the lego pneumatic pieces are excellent, integrating pneumatics and obtaining precise control of them in robotic systems (in general; I've never tried it with Lego) can be "awkward", although some intrepid individuals have certainly done it.

Jennifer Clark