 Robotics / 12356
Re: IR Ball (was Soccer-Playing Robots)
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics
Date:
Thu, 7 Sep 2000 07:08:08 GMT

In lugnet.robotics, "Wilcox, Doug" <Doug.Wilcox@iMcKesson.com> writes:
The Lego light sensors are particularly sensitive to infra-red (one of those
gems of information that I've picked up from the robotic mailing list), so
the standard Lego light sensors can be used to "see" a ball that's throwing
off lots of IR, like the one Marco and Mario and Giulio built.

I tried to build something like this.  I was just trying to make a film
canister into a beacon (even if the LEDs had to be external).  I was using
high-output IR LEDs powered by small lithium watch/camera batteries.  What I
discovered was that no amount of IR LED seemed to be enough to trigger the LEGO
light sensor usefully.

I'm still kind of bummed about it.

--Ben