 Robotics / 12293
Re: IR Ball (was Soccer-Playing Robots)
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics
Date:
Fri, 1 Sep 2000 14:16:37 GMT

"Wilcox, Doug" wrote:

Where did that cool plastic ball come from?

Wander into any toy store and you'll find small figures (Pokemon's etc)
packed into plastic spheres that split conveniently around the equator.

You should have no problem finding one of an appropriate size there
were LOTS to choose from at our local ToysRUs.

Our local Kroger supermarket also has some toys packed into
small plastic balls in their 50cent "gumball" machines...you
might get lucky...but I suspect those are too small.

I wondered if you could drastically cut down the number of LED's
by weighting the ball so that it rolls 'upright' when it stops.
Then, instead of needing to cover all possible directions out
of the ball with individual LED's, perhaps you could get away
with a smaller number pointing out of the 'equator' of the ball.

That wouldn't look as great as a free rolling ball - and the
robots would perhaps have trouble finding it while it's in
motion....but 28 LEDs is a heck of a lot!

The battery would probably make a good weight BTW.

--
Steve Baker   HomeEmail: <sjbaker1@airmail.net>
              WorkEmail: <sjbaker@link.com>