 Robotics / 12305
Re: IR Ball (was Soccer-Playing Robots)
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics
Date:
Fri, 1 Sep 2000 20:20:28 GMT

"Wilcox, Doug" wrote:

Are 28 LEDs really necessary?
What was the effect of ambient light?
Where did that cool plastic ball come from?

Just wanted to share some other informations that are currently being
discussed by email:

I used a Philips IR LED intended to be used for TV remote control, it
works well with 1-1,2 V and in this range absorbs about 8-10 mAh. I used
a battery pack made with four Sanyo 350 AAC NiCd that gives about 4,8 V
when fully charged. The 28 IR LED wher divided in 7 banks of four led (
7 times joined in parallel groups of 4 led in series) and I added two
banks of 3 high bright (visible) red led. Sorry I have no catalog
numbers for the LED as I bought them at a fair of surpluss electronic
equipment :)

The number of leds, the range and the ambient light are strictly related
togheter:

  bigger range > more IR power needed
  higher ambient light > more IR power needed

The plastic ball comes from a street toys dispenser for children:
something you may find in Italy outside of many shops, you insert the
equivalent of 1$ in coins and you will get a transparent plastic ball
with a very cheap and stupid toy inside.

Marco & Giulio