 Robotics / 12327
Re: External supply for RCX
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics
Date:
Tue, 5 Sep 2000 22:14:40 GMT

The motor driver circuits in the RCX are current limited to somewhere around 500 mA
if I remember correctly.
The driver chips also have a temperature cutoff, so they will not overheat.
You can short the motor with no damage.

    - pete.

Dean Husby wrote:

Mario Ferrari wrote:

Steve Baker <lego-robotics@crynwr.com> wrote:
"David C. Pyatt" wrote:

I've been using rechargable Eveready Renewals in one of my RCX's for • quite a
few months without any problems... I think it is the lower 1.2 volt • compared
to the 1.5V of a standard battery that they are concerned with.

Yes - but alkaline batteries drop gradually in voltage throughout
their lives - by the time they run out, their volts are below 1.2.

NiCd's on the other hand stay at 1.2 volts and dry up much more
suddenly...over just seconds sometimes.

Dunno about those Eveready Renewals though - those aren't NiCd
are they?  I vaguely recollect them being some wierd "rechargable
alkaline" technology - so they may be 1.5 volts.

Anyway, most equipment that has to run on alkalines can cope with
the slightly lower voltages that NiCd can supply - because it's
the same as running on nearly expired alkalines.

I regularely run my RCXs on NiMH Sanyo rechargable batteries and they works
very well. Voltage is lower, but they're much more current capable then the
alkaline technology ones.

Ciao
Mario

The only issue with the standard rechargeable ones is if the motor(s) short the
resulting current drain could damage something. I'm sure we've all shorted a
rechargeable and had the rubber wire casings melt off from the 'heated
exchange'..

Dean
--
Coin-Op's For Sale!: http://www.akasa.bc.ca/tfm/coin-op.html