 Robotics / 12287
  External supply for RCX

Hi, recently I purchased a LEGO Dacta Robotics set containing a RCX. To my surprise, the RCX was different from that I purchased with RIS 1.5 a month ago. The 'new' one has a socket for an external voltage supply (as I can guess from the '9-12 V' (...) (24 years ago, 1-Sep-00, to lugnet.robotics)

  Re: External supply for RCX

(...) Actually, the 'new' one is the one without the adapter socket. Lego stopped putting them in, apparently to save a few cents on the cost of each RCX. :-( You can get 'official' Lego adapters from (URL) the link to the item (appologies for the (...) (24 years ago, 1-Sep-00, to lugnet.robotics)

  Re: External supply for RCX

(...) Speaking of batteries, the manual advises against using rechargeable ones. Does anyone have experience with that? Why not use them? (24 years ago, 1-Sep-00, to lugnet.robotics)

  Vision Command in Nederland

Is Vision Command te koop in Nederland? Zo ja, waar? Does anybody know whether Vision Command is sold in the Netherlands? If yes, where? Harrie de Leeuw Eindhoven The Netherlands (24 years ago, 1-Sep-00, to lugnet.robotics)

  Re: External supply for RCX

(...) I've been using rechargable Eveready Renewals in one of my RCX's for quite a few months without any problems... I think it is the lower 1.2 volt compared to the 1.5V of a standard battery that they are concerned with. Dave (24 years ago, 1-Sep-00, to lugnet.robotics)

  Re: External supply for RCX

(...) Yes - but alkaline batteries drop gradually in voltage throughout their lives - by the time they run out, their volts are below 1.2. NiCd's on the other hand stay at 1.2 volts and dry up much more suddenly...over just seconds sometimes. Dunno (...) (24 years ago, 1-Sep-00, to lugnet.robotics)

  Re: External supply for RCX

(...) No one has answered your Question fully so here goes. The RCX with the power Adapter port is the 'old' one. It's power port can take the following: AC or DC (It doesn't matter what direction) AC is a little easier on the RCX as it uses both (...) (24 years ago, 2-Sep-00, to lugnet.robotics)

  Re: External supply for RCX

(...) quite a (...) compared (...) I regularely run my RCXs on NiMH Sanyo rechargable batteries and they works very well. Voltage is lower, but they're much more current capable then the alkaline technology ones. Ciao Mario (24 years ago, 4-Sep-00, to lugnet.robotics)

  Re: External supply for RCX

(...) The only issue with the standard rechargeable ones is if the motor(s) short the resulting current drain could damage something. I'm sure we've all shorted a rechargeable and had the rubber wire casings melt off from the 'heated exchange'.. (...) (24 years ago, 5-Sep-00, to lugnet.robotics)

  Re: External supply for RCX

The motor driver circuits in the RCX are current limited to somewhere around 500 mA if I remember correctly. The driver chips also have a temperature cutoff, so they will not overheat. You can short the motor with no damage. - pete. (...) (...) (24 years ago, 5-Sep-00, to lugnet.robotics)

  Re: External supply for RCX

(...) Perhaps because rechargeables have a faster initial voltage drop than other types and they feel that could make it seem like the RCX has poor performance or isn't working right. Perhaps. (24 years ago, 6-Sep-00, to lugnet.robotics)

  (canceled)

  Re: External supply for RCX

(...) If that is the case with rechargeable batteries, then I stand corrected. I do wonder why LEGO would caution the use of rechargeables if they are safe though... Dean -- Coin-Op's For Sale!: (URL) Lego Workshop: (URL) Lego Club: (URL) (24 years ago, 6-Sep-00, to lugnet.robotics)