 Robotics / 12128
12127  |  12129
Subject:
On the subject of air tanks ...
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics
Date:
Mon, 14 Aug 2000 15:32:29 GMT

Jennifer Clark wrote:
>I have (a little guiltily) taken the pneumatic elements from the box and
applied
>them in other models, which was interesting. Someone commented in another
thread
>about using the air tanks, and how the can badly affect a model. In some
ways
>I would agree with this, although the jury seems to be out on an opinion
poll of
>my friends of no air tank vs. air tank. The model used a compressor with a
>pressure detecting valve which switched off the motor when the pressure
reached
>a certain point. Basically, the air tank seems to:

Hey! That's why Lego is so great. You can borrow parts and you don't have to
feel guilty!

My two cents worth on air tanks;

I think they dramatically improve pneumatic models, providing a perfect
demonstration
of the autonomy between the power source storing energy in the tank and the
delivery system using it.

I am one of those unabashed Lego Non-Purists (Impurists?) and I have done some
hacking in the area of airtanks.

For testing purposes, not wishing to wear out my pumps prematurely, I use a
small hand
pump to charge the pressure system. This works great.

The hand pump came from one of those pump-up toys you can get at KB these days.

As for airtanks, Lego's blue tanks are fine if you only need a couple of
cubic inches. I
am currently using a bottle from a supersoaker. It hasn't exploded yet and
it has the
capacity to run a pneumatic "thingy" for quite a while. I provide the
initial charge by
hand and then allow the motorized pump to keep it topped up.

JB