 Robotics / 12129
Re: On the subject of air tanks ...
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics
Date:
Mon, 14 Aug 2000 12:53:11 GMT

My two cents worth on air tanks; • (snip)
I am one of those unabashed Lego Non-Purists (Impurists?) and I have done some
hacking in the area of airtanks.

As for airtanks, Lego's blue tanks are fine if you only need a couple of
cubic inches. I
am currently using a bottle from a supersoaker. It hasn't exploded yet and
it has the
capacity to run a pneumatic "thingy" for quite a while. I provide the
initial charge by
hand and then allow the motorized pump to keep it topped up.

You should see how long a 2.5 Gal air tank at 100 psi with a regulator will
drive a pneumatic thingy!.  I gave up on trying a all lego solution to my coal
unloader (because it is "sticky", and the volume of air lost is large), and
went out and bought a 1 hp compressor, with tank and regulator.  Reg. is set to
30 psi, and the air moves stuff in the right sequence when the RCX gets it
right at least!

(oh, the motor probably has less than 20 min run time on about 100 cycles of
the unloader.  I am currently trackless, so I cannot demonstrate it right now
at all)

James