 Robotics / 12131
Re: On the subject of air tanks ...
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics
Date:
Mon, 14 Aug 2000 13:14:39 GMT

Way to go! Using an industrial strength compressor!

Do you have to keep it out in the back yard and run the airline in through the
window to keep the noise level down?

It is quite noisy, but it only runs for about 2 minutes, then shuts off. The
tank of air is enough for about 3 full trains through the unloader, far more
than I have ever ran through it (the RCX almost inevitably makes a good crunch
of it before I get 3 trains through).  Given the pressure, the tank holds @10
gal of air at 3o psi, so the run time is quite low compared with the bleed off
time (I use 1/8" id vinel(sp) hose, which is not as tight a fit as the lego
hose, but much cheaper for long runs)

So, it lives in the closet, along with the boxes for the lego.  I have a much
quieter compressor at my mom's house, but it is only a 15 psi job...which
wouldn't be enough for what I am asking the little cylinders to move.

And, as for plumbing in compressors outside, I have, at my dad's house, he has
a 1.5 hp outfit under his steps, along with a ex -GO- train reciever off a
bilevel passenger car, which is 65 gal or so.

James