 Robotics / 12114
Re: Library of Tricks?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics
Date:
Sun, 13 Aug 2000 02:43:23 GMT

Sean Kelly wrote:

Is there anywhere on the web - or in a book somewhere - a "library" of • clever
little tricks or basic Lego Technics design hints?

Man, that's exactly what I'd love to see ... a set of Design Patterns for
Lego construction, much like Alexander's patterns for architecture or the
Gang of Four's patterns for object-oriented software.

Exactly.

So you (at least) don't know of such a thing...I couldn't find anything like
that from an hour of searching the web.

There are HUNDREDS of sites with photos of cool Lego robotic things - some
with detailed descriptions of very clever - but esoteric - designs.  But
nothing with *basic* design modules.

I smell a book opportunity ...

Eventually, perhaps - but gathering those tricks is the hard part.

I was kindof thinking of a web site where anyone could post a description
of a technique in some standard format - then a small group of volunteers
would either accept or reject each posting.  The accepted ones would
gradually build into a large library of techniques....some very simple,
some complex - all in a standard format with a uniform indexing mechanism.

The things I'm looking for are things like on pages 26 through 37 of the
"Contructopedia" that comes with RIS.

--
Steve Baker   HomeEmail: <sjbaker1@airmail.net>
              WorkEmail: <sjbaker@link.com>