 Robotics / 12106
12105  |  12107
Subject:
Library of Tricks?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics
Date:
Sun, 13 Aug 2000 01:32:30 GMT

I was looking at Jun Yu's clever little Hexapod design, and thinking that
I'm a *long* way from having the skills to design something neat and compact
like that.

Is there anywhere on the web - or in a book somewhere - a "library" of clever
little tricks or basic Lego Technics design hints?

Things like:  I wanted to make a reciprocating vertical motion from a motor
output - but I'm finding it very hard to make such a thing from the parts I
have without it being *HUGE* - or very fragile.  I guess this problem has
been solved a dozen times over - and some of your guys can probably think
of several good tricks for doing that.

The question is, has anyone every put a collection of those tricks together
in print or on the web anywhere?

There are a few tricks like that in the manuals that come with Mindstorms
sets - but that just leaves me realising how valuable such a thing would be.

If it doesn't exist, should it?  I could probably find enough web site space
to store such a thing on a permenant basis if people would like to contribute
to it.

I'm not sure how you'd present the information - photos?  Drawings made with
one of the Lego-specific CAD programs?  Downloadable source files for those
CAD programs that show things step-by-step?

How would you search/classify the various techniques?

--
Steve Baker   HomeEmail: <sjbaker1@airmail.net>
              WorkEmail: <sjbaker@link.com>