 Robotics / 12148
Re: Library of Tricks?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics
Date:
Tue, 15 Aug 2000 22:54:21 GMT

Todd Bertschi wrote:

I've been looking for the same thing ever since the Mindstorm set first came
out.  I eventually gave up.  Resorted to making my own.  If I happen to run
across any web site that has an interesting tip, trick, design or oddity I
save the page onto a Zip disk I have labeled Lego Lexicon.  The whole thing is
a mess though.

So what's needed is a way to present that information and share it.

I would have thought that one or two photos - plus a one-line 'index'
description author's name/email/website and a longer full description
would suffice to document each trick. Maybe an optional 'LDraw' file
of the thing.  We don't want to make it too hard for people to submit
ideas by requiring too much 'red tape'.

Then we'd need a submissions mechanism.  That could be as simple as

  Email it to a mailing list set up specifically for the purpose.
  Format as an HTML document plus some images - and
  <a volunteer> puts it onto a web site somewhere and
  maintains an index.

If there were only a handful of submissions per week, I would be
prepared to handle such a scheme, find some web space to store
it and a mailing list address for people to submit to.

Would people contribute to such a scheme?  If so, I'll make
it happen.

(Note that I'm thinking of basic Lego tricks - NOT full models -
just the kinds of things in the RIS manual and the "Art of Lego"
document.)

BTW: I've discovered that my UMAX Astra flatbed scanner does an
excellent job of making pictures of small Lego constructions of
the kind that a 'Constructopedia' would need.  It's considerably
better resolution than a digital camera - and much more convenient
to use.

--
Steve Baker   HomeEmail: <sjbaker1@airmail.net>
              WorkEmail: <sjbaker@link.com>