 Robotics / 11767
Re: Pneumatics and its uses
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics
Date:
Fri, 23 Jun 2000 22:33:46 GMT

There are a couple of options for the addition of pneumatics to
RCX based lego creations.

1. Use technics motors to drive technics valves to operate the
pneumatic stuff.

Kind of a waste though, why not just use the motors directly.

2. Use R/C servos to control the technics valves to operate the
pneumatic stuff.

Not bad, there are various homebrew ways of controlling R/C servos
from the RCX.

3. Use solenoid operated air valves to operate the pneumatic stuff.

I have already tried and rejected 1 and 2. I am on 3. There's a guy
on ebay who has been selling Clippard ETO 3 valves. They are 6 volt
devices and seem to work just great at the pressures involved. I am
in the process of building a 6 "channel" controller, so I can control
six lego pneumatic circuits.

As a general note on pneumatic odds and ends, the blue air tanks aren't
big enough! I have discovered that there are some modest sized cylindrical
tanks disguised as supersoakers which make great reservoirs. Also the
little pump-up airboat sold by KB has a blue air tank which I have also
used. Medicine bottle tops seem to fit the threads on these tanks!

JB

Hi,

This is a really elementary question, but what can I use pneumatics
for?  Can I use it for precision controlling? And what are solenoids??
It seems to me that most of the pneumatic controls are pump and go type
of tasks and there is no way to stop it and continue it later on??

Ram