 Robotics / 11766
Re: Building a Postscript printer?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics
Date:
Fri, 23 Jun 2000 19:33:18 GMT

--- Manoj Plakal <plakal@no-spam.cs.wisc.edu> wrote:

Hello,

I'm completely new to the Lego Mindstorms scene. I
was
thinking about getting RIS 1.5  this summer, and one
cool
project I was thinking about was building a robot
that could be used as a printer or plotter of vector
graphics
e.g., Postscript, or the Scalable Vector Graphics
(SVG)
Markup Language from www.w3.org.

The system would consist of a main driver running on
a PC controlling the robot which would basically
hold the pens and which would move over chart paper.

Anyone tried anything similar? Any comments on
feasibility? Is it possible for the driver on the PC
continually talk to the RCX after the initial
download
of the RCX program?

You might want to take a look at the Postscript
Language Definition first. You're not gonna be fittin'
no PostScript 3 interpreter in no 32K, yo.

However, a PostScript language subset isn't such a bad
idea; what you'd be creating would be the basic
PostScript interpreter (in LegOS or some such), with a
simple implementation of the language and primitives
to control either (low-level) the RCX itself or
(high-level) draw the picture. Either way you're
talking about a firmware replacement, not a
quick-and-dirty RCXcode hack.

/Brian

=====