 Robotics / 11016
Re: "Floating" a motor
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics
Date:
Mon, 13 Mar 2000 16:01:20 GMT

In lugnet.robotics, Richard Hamilton writes:
In lugnet.robotics, James Powell writes:
Is there any way using the Lego Firmware/software to get a output to float? • I
have a aplication in which a 'braked' motor will not work...it has to be able
to pass over various gears, and I only just clued in to that little fact, as • to
why it did what it did...

Otherwise, where do I look for _beginner_ information on a alt. programming
language that I can use?  I used to program in Logo, and handbomb my HTML, so • I
have a idea of how to program non graphically, but, not a great grasp of it.

James Powell

Robolab 2.0 will allow you to float the motors using a graphical language with
the native lego firmware. Once you install Robolab 2.0, go to the Project
Install Extras to use the full menus. One advantage of Robolab is it has nine
different levels of difficulty to help people learn programming and the RCX.
The easiest levels are called Pilot levels in which the number of commands is
very limited. The harder levels are called Inventor, with the float motor
commands on Inventor 4 with the extras installed.

The downside of Robolab is it costs more than NQC. Another downside is not as
many people are using Robolab, so you will get better help on Lugnet with NQC
questions than Robolab at this time. Even still, consider spending a few
dollars to get Robolab, an educational grade graphic programming language for
the RCX.

Someone mentioned  using NQCXX with NQC. Robolab 2.0 has similar functions to
NQCXX as a native software function in the base package. To look at memory you
can use the Project/Interrogate RCX functions, and to issue immediate commands
there are two direct modes including one using the Internet.

Robolab 1.x had some frustrating limitations which caused it to drop off most
programmer's "radar screens". Robolab 2.0 deserves another look. Robolab 2.0 is
functionally comparable to NQC but using a graphic interface. Sure you have
fewer restrictions using NQC, but there will always be a place for graphical
programming languages.