 Robotics / 1087
Re: iMac IR drive RCX?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics
Date:
Fri, 4 Dec 1998 13:08:32 GMT

The Palm Pilot supposedly uses the same kind of IR as a
computer.  It had to be hacked to act like a learning remote.
I believe they use higher frequencies in IR-da to simulate the
different older protocol.  If that's true, then the option is
also available to PC ports... someone just has to take the time
to do it.

I really wish that the software for the Palm Pilot was
more generalized.  I'd really like to be able to write programs
for my Palm Pilot that could interact directly with the RCX.
Then all I have to do is build a cradle for my Palm Pilot into
all of my robots and I'd have some more powerful processing
capabilities.

-Paul

Matthew Miller wrote:

John Cooper <lego-robotics@crynwr.com> wrote:
I have seen reports of Palm Pilot and HP handheld working, also a learning
IR remote has been succesful. I'm not sure where I saw it, possibly RCX
Internals (http://graphics.stanford.edu/~kekoa/rcx/) or a link from there.

Right, but all of those aren't standard computer IR -- they're functioning
like learning remotes.