 Robotics / 1077
  iMac IR drive RCX?

I haven't seen mention of this anywhere, but is anyone aware of whether the iMac can talk directly to the RCX using IR? Is anyone aware of any reason why it couldn't be made to work? (i.e. since the lego IR is patent pending, maybe there's a (...) (26 years ago, 4-Dec-98, to lugnet.robotics)

  Re: iMac IR drive RCX?

(...) Actually, I haven't seen anybody get a standard computer IR port of any sort to talk to the RCX. :( (26 years ago, 4-Dec-98, to lugnet.robotics)

  Re: iMac IR drive RCX?

(...) I have seen reports of Palm Pilot and HP handheld working, also a learning IR remote has been succesful. I'm not sure where I saw it, possibly RCX Internals ((URL) or a link from there. (26 years ago, 4-Dec-98, to lugnet.robotics)

  Re: iMac IR drive RCX?

(...) Right, but all of those aren't standard computer IR -- they're functioning like learning remotes. (26 years ago, 4-Dec-98, to lugnet.robotics)

  Re: iMac IR drive RCX?

The Palm Pilot supposedly uses the same kind of IR as a computer. It had to be hacked to act like a learning remote. I believe they use higher frequencies in IR-da to simulate the different older protocol. If that's true, then the option is also (...) (26 years ago, 4-Dec-98, to lugnet.robotics)

  Re: iMac IR drive RCX?

(...) I think it is all pretty generic stuff, so if a remote could learn it, a computer could generate it dynamically. Anyway I've found the reference, funnily enough its on the Lego Mindstorms Internals page carried by this very list server - (URL) (...) (26 years ago, 4-Dec-98, to lugnet.robotics)