 Robotics / 10644
Re: Multiple Output Gearbox
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics
Date:
Mon, 14 Feb 2000 19:47:47 GMT

Sounds interesting. If you like, you can email the pictures to me, and I
will put them on display on my ISP's web server.

Arjen

"David Paule" <dpaule@diac.com> wrote in message
I made a simple gearbox that uses one motor to drive several output • shafts,
all separately. A second motor selects between the outputs. Only one • output at
a time can be used, so therefore the outputs aren't fully independent. But • for
the one which is selected, it can be driven either way, set to freewheel • or
stopped, if using NQC. And the gearbox can be expanded indefinitely.

This doesn't use the gear-box hardware from the Space Shuttle or the • Supercar.
Those are either restricted to two outputs or need a third motor to get • the
cross-motion into the gear selector.

I don't have a web site so there aren't any pictures. Sorry.

Here's a conceptual description:

All the outputs share one similarity: they have gears which are lined up • to
mesh with a 16 tooth dark-gray idler gear when the idler gear slides along • an
axle. The idler gear is part of a slider assembly which is driven by the
second motor. In my prototype I used a flat rack gear on the slider • assembly,
and drove it by turning an axle that had a stack of those black screw • gears.
The long screw made the slider assembly move along the axle.

Now, then, what makes the idler gear turn? In line with each of the output
shaft gears, but not touching them, I located other 16 tooth gears on • another
axle. This axle turns, driven by the first motor. When it turns all these
gears turn. But depending on the position of the slider assembly and its • idler
gear, one of these (and only one) is in line with the idler gear, and that • is
in line with the output gear, and so you have a single output.

What sensors are needed to moniter this? One rotation sensor on the long • screw
axle will do nicely.

I've noticed that the gear changing is facilitated by turning the first • motor
at the same time the second motor is driving the slider assembly. • Otherwise
sometimes the teeth don't line up and the slider can force things apart,
because it tries to keep moving. But is the first motor is turning, the • gears
all mesh reasonably well.

How many outputs can be selected this way? As far as I know, a whole • bunch.
The longest axles restrict the concept to four or five outputs, but if the
slider assembly had wheels and rode along a beam, then it could be • extended
indefinitely.

Have fun!

Dave Paule