 Robotics / 10442
Re: Digital Camera with LEGO (and positioning and yadda yadda)
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics
Date:
Wed, 2 Feb 2000 08:41:15 GMT

I've been considering something of "the opposite approach"

It ought to be possible to use a PC/workstation based digital camera to
determine the location and orientation of the mobile, autonomous robot,
and then tell the robot its location (and possibly orientation).

Consider the simple case where we have an uncluttered n by n room with
the camera mounted pointed straight down from the middle of the ceiling,
with visual coverage of the entire arena; and the top of the robot is
constructed of all black plates except for a white plate at the front of it and
a blue plate at the back of it (pick your colors as appropriate):
A fairly simple program should be able to note the location and orientation
of the RCX guided robot on the floor, and respond to messages from the
RCX when it says "where am I?" with X, Y, and rotational parameters.

After setting up the basics, it'd also be fun to play around with how much
intelligence the "spy satellite" had as compared with the autonomous mobile
unit.  (This could range from advisory messages such as "there is an obstacle
directly ahead of you n utits away" through having all of the smarts running on
the PC/workstation, and the RCX just takes simple instructions.)

Random Thoughts,

Philippe Jadin wrote:

Assuming I can pull it onto my PC with RCX Command Centre (from NQC), does
anyone have a program written that can use the data in the log to generate a
bitmap? What sorts of results did you get if you tried this project?

I come again with my design, it's a scanner, which can display pictures
in realtime on the pc screen. Each pixel is written in the rcx, and the
pc read this var with spirit.ocx. Each pixel is then displyed in a
Timage componnent in Borland Delphi 3. This soft could be easily
modified to controll a camera instead of a scanner. However, it takes
*huge* time to scan a picture : 10 min!

Sequence is :

-pc tell the rcx : move + 1 X, store pixel
-rcx stores raw sensor data in one var
-pc read the var and convert it to 16 levels gray scale (scale
adjustable to environment constraints)
-pc display the pixel (a 5 pixel square)

-do this 50 times, and then move one line (+1 Y)

-do this 50 times

We get a 50*50 pixels image.

see more info's, and source code (nqc on the rcx, borland delphi on the
pc):

http://users.swing.be/philippe.jadin/

It seems like a lot of fun! I can't wait to see how the picture turns out.
You'll have to wait 10min for each... :-)

Phil
Simple yet usefull  Robot stuff goto
http://users.swing.be/philippe.jadin
Votre site internet en un clin d'oeil : http://clairetnet.cjb.net