 Robotics / 10331
RE: Home-made Light Bricks
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics
Date:
Thu, 27 Jan 2000 20:06:38 GMT

The big advantage of using LEDs is that you can control two lights from a single
RCX output. As long as you don't want them to light at the same time. They also
use less power than light bulbs. Now what we really need is a de-multiplexer, to
drive multiple LEDs from a single output.

LEDs work quite well with pulse power. If pulsed, the current during the on
period can exceed the current rating of the LED. So instead of simply turning on
the LED, you can generate a series of bright flashes. That's how your digital
clock with LED display works - the different segments of the digits are actually
never on at the same time. Each segment just flashes very brightly for a short
time. Your eyes are too slow to notice that, and it appears as if the LED is on
constantly.

Tilman