 Robotics / 10332
10331  |  10333
Subject:
PowerBook G3 IR Port?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics
Date:
Thu, 27 Jan 2000 20:06:29 GMT

Hi all,
I am new to this list. I was a beta tester for the Mindstorms
kit, but sadly have not had much time to play with it. I just got two
books, and have started researching on the web.

I know I can hook up the IR tower to a Mac through some creative
cabling, but I would really like to do is communicate with the RCX
directly using the IR port on my PowerBook G3 Series. I know that it
is tied to a serial port, and that it is IrDA compliant, but not much
more. The IrDA spec says devices support rates from 9600 to 4Mb, and
I saw that the RCX communicates at 2400 b/s.

Has anybody tried using the PB IR port? Can anybody tell me if I
would be wasting my time to try?

many thanks,
-Ben
Ben Wyckoff                                     wyckoff@clearway.com
Principal Engineer
ClearWay Technologies, LLC.                     www.clearway.com

"Somehow it seems to fill my head with ideas -
only I don't exactly know what they are!"
Lewis Carroll, Alice, Through The Looking Glass