 Robotics / 10335
Re: PowerBook G3 IR Port?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics
Date:
Thu, 27 Jan 2000 22:48:54 GMT

In lugnet.robotics, Ben Wyckoff <wyckoff@clearway.com> writes:
Hi all,
I am new to this list. I was a beta tester for the Mindstorms
kit, but sadly have not had much time to play with it. I just got two
books, and have started researching on the web.

I know I can hook up the IR tower to a Mac through some creative
cabling, but I would really like to do is communicate with the RCX
directly using the IR port on my PowerBook G3 Series. I know that it
is tied to a serial port, and that it is IrDA compliant, but not much
more. The IrDA spec says devices support rates from 9600 to 4Mb, and
I saw that the RCX communicates at 2400 b/s.

Has anybody tried using the PB IR port? Can anybody tell me if I
would be wasting my time to try?

many thanks,
-Ben

Two things:
1. The proper cable to hook a Mindstorms IR Tower to a Mac isn't that
creative; it's available from http://pitsco-legodacta-store.com/ in the
RoboLab components page. It's just a Mac serial to 9-pin serial cable.

2. There shouldn't be any reason that the IR port on your PB wouldn't program
the RCX; it should only be a SMOP for the output to the IR port.

-Cheese