 Robotics / 10069
Re: Multitasking
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics
Date:
Fri, 14 Jan 2000 19:06:19 GMT

Hi Alex,

I was thinking this over last night and was wondering about how sleeping a task
would affect an application that requires precise timing. In the bicycle
example, what would happen if the balancing task was asleep when the bicycle
began to tip?

I think multitasking is certainly useful in situations where the tasks are
disjoint, such as driving the robot and sending a message over the IR port. But
when the tasks need to work together closely, the sleeping issue worries me.

David Leeper (thinks this is an interesting topic)

alex wetmore wrote:

From: "David Leeper" <david.leeper@destiny.com>
I removed the multitasking features from my cruise and avoid code last • night
and discovered the robot runs smoother, using less code, and less RCX
variables.

Cruise and avoid is a pretty simple type of program, and multitasking really
isn't necessary.  I wrote a sublimation version of it mostly to play with
the concepts of sublimation.  Two nights ago I wrote the same program using
LegOS and used a more traditional loop there.  The two versions are:

http://www.phred.org/~alex/lego/wander.nqc
http://www.phred.org/~alex/lego/wander.c

I think that the sublimation model becomes a lot more powerful as you have
many inputs to monitor and build more complex robots.  My cruise and avoid
robots really only have one input to watch -- some sort of bump detection (a
rotation sensor in the above examples).

An example of a robot type where I think that sublimation would be useful is
trying to build a balancing and steering vehicle such as a bicycle.  Alex
Nicolaou and I started talking about this in private email a few days ago.
Here you might want a high priority task which makes the minor steering and
weight-shift movements necessary to keep the bike balanced, while having a
lower priority task which controls the same steering and weight-shift
movements to allow the bike to turn.  We'll see how this works out once I
have time to build such a robot.

Conclusion: multitasking isn't necessary or optimal for all tasks, but it
can be useful in more complex tasks.

alex