 Robotics / 10068
Re: Multitasking
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics
Date:
Fri, 14 Jan 2000 19:04:32 GMT

On Fri, 14 Jan 2000, David Leeper wrote:

But, as you noted, the RCX doen't work that way. The normal pattern is a task
runs some code, goes to sleep to so that other tasks have processor time, wake
up and run the code, go back to sleep, etc.

That isn't the RCX, but rather then standard Lego firmware.  legOS avoids
most of the limitations of the standard firmware, and there is still room
for more interrupt-driven approaches.

Of course, I'm not doing a balancing bot, I'm doing a simple cruise and avoid.
Still, response time improved and I would think that would help a balancing bot
too.

The difference is that if your bot hits something and the program isn't
checking for a collision at that point, it will just push into the
obstacle for a bit until the program does check.  In a balancing bot, it has
fallen over by the time the program gets to checking it.

John A. Tamplin LiveOnTheNet.COM, Inc.
jat@LiveOnTheNet.COM 2104 West Ferry Way
256/705-7007 - FAX 256/705-7100 Huntsville, AL 35801