 Publishing / Photography / 83
Re: Photography Techniques...
Newsgroups:
lugnet.publish.photography
Date:
Thu, 8 Nov 2001 15:28:31 GMT

In lugnet.publish.photography, Ace Kim writes:
my two studs:

outside natural sunlight is the best. don't underestimate cloudy/overcast
days though. overcast days are ideal conditions for photographing artwork
for slides so it my work for lego models (i don't see why not). give them
both a try and see what kind of results you get. although living in
vancouver you may not have that many opportunities for bright sunny days. ;)

if you're like me, you don't get many chances to shoot during daylight hours
period. i do most of my photographing at night inside my studio. i use a
halogen desk lamp to illuminate the model and took several test shots. your
camera may have an inherent white point balancing setting that you can
adjust. i tried out all the options and finally found one that made a white
sheet of paper look white. after that i took some more pics of my model and
ran it through photoshop. what i find works wonders is adjusting the
hue/saturation/lightness (it's under image>adjust>hue/saturation). it made
the reds look red and brought the blues much closer to lego brick blue and
so on. as for lassoing specific areas, i really don't think something like
that is necessary unless you want to paint in wear and tear, etc.

Thanks for th tips Ace! I'll definitely experiment with this,

Thanks again,

-Geordan-

In lugnet.publish.photography, Geordan Hankinson writes:
He'y'all,

Two parts to this post, feel free to respond to either or both...

part I

I'm having trouble with takin pictures,

Some times they turn out too dark, sometimes they turn out kind of like they
were under candle light, :-)

any ideas on lighting? I'm looking for results like this...

you get the idea... any thoughts on the lighting?

part II

This is why this is relevant to space and mecha...sort of...

For the next chapter in my story, the scenes are going to be battle scenes,
so it goes beyond just taking pictures of minifigs, I need to be able to
take the outline of the mecha, and paste it onto a background, like this...

I have absolutely no idea how though, I figured people in space are fairly
familiar with this technique, as are some of the mecha people, so any ideas?

I've tried tinkering with this lot's, but could never figure it out...

Thanks everyone! =^)

-Geordan-