 Publishing / Photography / 75
Re: Photography Techniques...
Newsgroups:
lugnet.publish.photography
Date:
Mon, 5 Nov 2001 07:31:07 GMT

In lugnet.publish.photography, Geordan Hankinson writes:
any ideas on lighting? I'm looking for results like this...

hi,

My advice is, unless you can set up some special lights, try natural light
outside.  The yellowing that happens to pictures you have taken is because
most artificial light sources do not give out light in the same range of
waves that the sun give out.  Standard incandesant bulbs are very yellow.
Flourescent lights can be orange, blue, green, or tinted any number of ways.
There are more and more "natural" artifical lights out there, but unless you
want to set up a complicated mini-studio, give the sun a try.  Also, a
slightly cloudy day is best, try to avoid bright days with direct sun, and
always take pictures with the sun behind the camera.

*snip mentioning cropping ships and mecha*

I have absolutely no idea how though, I figured people in space are fairly
familiar with this technique, as are some of the mecha people, so any ideas?

you need to get your hands on a fairly good photo editor program similar to
Adobe Photoshop to simplify this process.
One of the most basic things you should keep in mind to crop an object into
a photo is matching the light as best you can.  Also, working with the
'levels' in your photos will help solve some of the problem you mention in
part 1.

To crop an object into a photo, I generally first prepare the background
picture and make sure it is as I wish it to look (minus the object I am
about to add of course).

Next I select the image to be added, and block out the backbround.  There
are numerous ways to do this, depending on the image and the software you
are using.

If I know I am taking a photo of an object that will be added, I try to find
a background color that does not appear in the object.  Try experimenting
with a couple sheets of large colored construction paper, like the type
found at most stores for about buck a piece.  If you evenly light the object
and background, once the picture is in the computer, you can use the magic
wand tool to select just the background and delete it out.  Then select the
background and invert the selection.  Copy the selected object.

sometimes the magic wand tool just won't do the job, no matter what you set
the tolerance to.  If you have a cutout tool, try using it to run around the
outside of the object until you have it fully selected.  This can be quite a
task to get right if you have a curvy subject with lots of details.  Zoom in
an take your time if you need to.  When I am 'hand carving' and image with
lots of detail, I usually erase quarter sections of background around the
perimeter of the object to a color that doesn't appear in the object, so if
I make a mistake I can undo without losing too much work.  Once you have the
background fully erased, select it with the magic wand.  Then invert the
selection and copy the selected object.

Once you have an image of just the object copied, you can drop it into the
background image.  At this point I usually take a moment to make sure the
tint/contrast/etc balance is correct for the 2 different layers, and then I
size the object to the background and place it where it should go.  FInally,
when I am happy with the way it looks, I flatten the image and save it.

this is a really rough outline of the steps taken, the question you posed
has so many directions it could be taken, I hope my answer helps.

cheers!
Joel K