 Publishing / Photography / 51
Re: New Outdoor Robot Photos
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics, lugnet.publish.photography
Date:
Mon, 9 Apr 2001 20:26:48 GMT

Jennifer Clark wrote:

These are great looking robots and photographs, I think the way you have
used colour on the robots is fantastic.

Thanks. There was actually alot of development (and a bit of luck)
involved in the color schemes I used. The RCXbug was developed for my
biology thesis, and since the RCX is yellow anyway, I decided to give it
aposematic (warning) coloration, which is convenient considering the
number of unwitting students generally present in the room where I'd
test new programming. This also makes the RCXbug a "Batesian mimic", a
harmless creature which mimics the color patterns of a dangerous
creature (in this case a bee or wasp). The platform has been evolving
for a little over a year now, and I've slowly replaced most of the grey
elements present in the earlier revisions with black or yellow varieties
as I acquired them. The Solarbug is a more recent annex to the web
version of the project, which I built to give contrast to the RCXbug's
features. Conveniently, the solar panel and capacitor are green,
allowing me to give it cryptic (camouflage) coloration, which is the
exact opposite of aposematic coloration.

The quality of photographs is
making me want to "upgrade" my digital camera ;-)

What kind of camera do you use now? the Canon S20 that I'm using is
pretty nice, although it does have a few quirks. Most notably, it doesnt
support any raw file format (it's JPEG-only), which I find extremely irritating.

--

Regards

Micah J. Mabelitini - LUGNET #918
The University of Kentucky
SECC Middlesboro Academic Skills Resource Center
accutron@kih.net - http://www.users.kih.net/~micahx/