 Publishing / Photography / 192
Re: Nikon CoolPix 2100 Rating?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.publish.photography
Date:
Wed, 23 Apr 2003 12:00:55 GMT

In lugnet.publish.photography, Aaron Muhl writes:
I've finally decided to get with the 21st Century and purchase a digital
camera.  After doing quite a bit of reading at various sites, I think I've
found the camera that will fit my needs.  I'm looking for a camera around
$200.00 that has at least 3x optical zoom, minimum of 2MPIX, compact flash
memory, superior image quality, red-eye correction, long battery life,
connects to my PC via USB, and is small!  I realize that I'm asking for a
lot....

Anyway, the Nikon CoolPix 2100 seems to fit.  I've found it online for
$206.00 with a $10.00 delivery charge.  I'm planning on using it to photo
Lego models of course, but I'd also like to use it for hiking and social
events as well.  Here is a link to the full specs of the camera:

http://electronics.cnet.com/electronics/0-6613935-1317-20856885.html?tag=dir

Does anyone own this camera?  If so, can you give me feedback on it's
functionality?  Nikon seems to be one of the brands of choice on this
newsgroup, and the 2100 features seem right.

Thanks for your feedback,

Aaron

Regardless of which camera you choose, invest the $20 to get one of those
dedicated USB memory card readers.  I find this to be a very convenient way
to get pictures out of my cameras without being tied to whatever upload
software comes with the camera.  Since I got one of these, I have taken to
using CF cards instead of floppy disks for sneaker-netting files between my
desktop and laptop machines.  Also great for use with MP3 players!

I've also noticed that memory cards of all types seem to have gotten much
cheaper in the last few months.  For example, Wal*Mart has a 256Meg SD card
for under $70, and 32M CF cards for about $20.  You might also check there
for cameras as they had several small digital models in that price range
that you can play with.  Assuming your local WM can keep their display units
functioning, of course.

Hope this helps.

- Chris.

p.s.  Though I often steer people there, I have no connection whatsoever to
Wal*Mart other than being an occasional customer.  You should find that any
large-scale retailer such as Sears, Best Buy, Target, Comp USA, etc. should
have similar items in stock.