 Publishing / HTML / 296
  Re: Disabling HTML form button if any changes made to an edit box?

(...) You don't even need the CRC. Do what you said on the message edit page about combining post & preview so that there is only preview, but then on the Message Preview page remove the whole lower section containing the message edit box, preview (...) (21 years ago, 2-Jun-03, to lugnet.publish.html)

  Re: Disabling HTML form button if any changes made to an edit box?

Quoting "Brian H. Nielsen" <70401.2635@compuserve.com>: (...) while that's workable, I like being able to edit while seeing the end result that caused my edit. Meaning if I'm trying to change some formatting, I wouldn't want to have to hit back, to (...) (21 years ago, 2-Jun-03, to lugnet.publish.html)

  Re: Disabling HTML form button if any changes made to an edit box?

(...) That makes sense. You still don't need the CRC, even if you keep the message edit section on the Message Preview page. In the bottom messge edit section just do the same thing as suggested for the message edit page - combine the post & preview (...) (21 years ago, 2-Jun-03, to lugnet.publish.html)

  Re: Disabling HTML form button if any changes made to an edit box?

(...) Except that relying on the browser's Back button is asking for trouble. Say you edit a reply, look at the preview, then go do something else, and when you return, the page is gone from your browser's cache. That would be a nasty surprise. I've (...) (21 years ago, 2-Jun-03, to lugnet.publish.html)

  Re: Disabling HTML form button if any changes made to an edit box?

(...) I like that idea. In fact I could even implement that immediately without any CRC or JS. That's a great idea, Brian, thanks! The top half would have only a "Post" button (and the "E-mail me a copy" checkbox) and the bottom half would have only (...) (21 years ago, 2-Jun-03, to lugnet.publish.html)

  Re: Disabling HTML form button if any changes made to an edit box?

(...) I'll trust you on how other browsers work, you've got to maintain compatability. You can still accomplish forcing a preview before every post by removing the post button from the message edit form, leaving only the preview button. On the (...) (21 years ago, 2-Jun-03, to lugnet.publish.html)

  Re: Disabling HTML form button if any changes made to an edit box?

(...) That part sounds great to me. (...) And this part also sounds great -- except for one thing: What if someone makes edits in the lower form, but then clicks the "Post" button in the top form? --Todd (21 years ago, 2-Jun-03, to lugnet.publish.html)

  Re: Disabling HTML form button if any changes made to an edit box?

(...) People already deal with multiple forms on a page and are used to the fact that the button they click is relevant only for the data on that form. The current Message Preview page is layed out in a manner that clearly suggests it is 2 different (...) (21 years ago, 2-Jun-03, to lugnet.publish.html)

  Re: Disabling HTML form button if any changes made to an edit box?

Quoting "Brian H. Nielsen" <70401.2635@compuserve.com>: (...) The problem is, that if you have two buttons, one says "Post" and one says "Preview", people would assume they're in the same form. I know I will. You can put multiple forms on the same (...) (21 years ago, 2-Jun-03, to lugnet.publish.html)

  Re: Disabling HTML form button if any changes made to an edit box?

(...) Todd, I was justing post a blog when i thought of something (well, saw how the blog did it) - one the page where you compose the text, it has one button that says "preview". when you hit it, you go to a page with the text, but you are unable (...) (21 years ago, 2-Jun-03, to lugnet.publish.html)

  Re: Disabling HTML form button if any changes made to an edit box?

(...) I think that might make more work for the user than is strictly necessary. If the server detects changes automatically (or if JS disabled the "Post" button automatically), then it eliminates a step. --Todd (21 years ago, 2-Jun-03, to lugnet.publish.html)

  Re: Disabling HTML form button if any changes made to an edit box?

(...) I agree with Dan...especially in light of how it's always been (a single form). (...) I'm not sure. Can you point me to specific examples of "bad wrapping in the quoted text"? One thing that I am aware of, however, is a -lack- of wrapping long (...) (21 years ago, 2-Jun-03, to lugnet.publish.html)

  Re: Disabling HTML form button if any changes made to an edit box?

(...) Yes, you don't want to use the browser's Back button. But you can easily add an "Edit" button to the preview page, which takes you back to an edit page with the changes intact. (...) Yes, and Mozilla doesn't preserve the contents of each frame (...) (21 years ago, 2-Jun-03, to lugnet.publish.html)

  Re: Disabling HTML form button if any changes made to an edit box?

(...) Maybe that's what they intend to do. They may start to edit the message and then change their mind. If you are doing JS or CRC to check for changes in the edit box then you also need a way to reset it if edits are started and then decided (...) (21 years ago, 3-Jun-03, to lugnet.publish.html)

  Re: Disabling HTML form button if any changes made to an edit box?

(...) Well, I assumed it was already 2 forms until I looked at the actual HTML. To me the horizontal rule between the 2 sections delineated the forms. If others assert they would be confused by 2 forms in this fashion what can I say? Perhaps there (...) (21 years ago, 3-Jun-03, to lugnet.publish.html)