 Publishing / HTML / 296
Re: Disabling HTML form button if any changes made to an edit box?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.publish.html
Date:
Mon, 2 Jun 2003 14:22:46 GMT

In lugnet.publish.html, Dan Boger wrote:
On Mon, Jun 02, 2003 at 05:20:56AM +0000, Todd Lehman wrote:
p.s.  The application here is that I want to prevent accidental
posting of messages where the user has forgotten to preview the
message. After Preview is clicked and the preview is displayed, the
Post button should be enabled. But if any changes are made, then the
Post button should be immediately disabled.

why use JS?  just combine the post and preview button to one, and detect
on the server if the data was changed.  If it was, preview, if it
wasn't (matches a CRC in a hidden form element), it posts.

   You don't even need the CRC.  Do what you said on the message edit page about
combining post & preview so that there is only preview, but then on the Message
Preview page remove the whole lower section containing the message edit box,
preview and post buttons.  If the user sees something they need to change they
should use their browser's Back button.  I do it all the time in IE.

Brian H. Nielsen