 Publishing / HTML / 302
Re: Disabling HTML form button if any changes made to an edit box?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.publish.html
Date:
Mon, 2 Jun 2003 17:18:23 GMT

In lugnet.publish.html, Todd Lehman wrote:
In lugnet.publish.html, Brian H. Nielsen wrote:
You don't even need the CRC.  Do what you said on the message edit page about
combining post & preview so that there is only preview, but then on the Message
Preview page remove the whole lower section containing the message edit box,
preview and post buttons.  If the user sees something they need to change they
should use their browser's Back button.  I do it all the time in IE.

Except that relying on the browser's Back button is asking for trouble.
Say you edit a reply, look at the preview, then go do something else, and
when you return, the page is gone from your browser's cache.  That would be
a nasty surprise.

I've also seen Mozilla do some really weird things with the Back button on
forms, for example putting up the following message box even when the page
should still be in the cache:

   The page you are trying to view contains POSTDATA that has expired from
   cache.  If you resend the data, any action the form carried out (such
   as a search or online purchase) will be repeated.  To resend the data,
   click OK.  Otherwise, click Cancel.

If you click OK to that message box, you lose your earlier edits.  If you
click Cancel, the Back operation is cancelled.  Thus, you can't go back in
this case.

--Todd

   I'll trust you on how other browsers work, you've got to maintain
compatability.

   You can still accomplish forcing a preview before every post by removing the
post button from the message edit form, leaving only the preview button.  On the
Message Preview page, make the 2 sections be separate forms.  The top preview
form has a post button, while the bottom message edit form has only a preview
button. No JS or CRC required.

Brian H. Nielsen