 Publishing / HTML / 280
Re: Flash questions
Newsgroups:
lugnet.publish.html
Date:
Thu, 13 Feb 2003 01:54:57 GMT

In lugnet.publish.html, John Henry Kruer writes:

Hello, all.  I've been thinking about making a
sight using only Flash.  I'm too lazy to do
HTML, and Flash is much easier and cooler.  :)

Definitely. Although I'm not an <html> guru,
I would have to say that using both in
conjunction might be an alternative as well.
(you don't want to overwhelm the audience
with too many graphics, though.)

But, I have a few questions before I go and
buy a real program instead of a demo.
Why don't more people use Flash?  Is there
a secret problem or limitation lurking out
there?

Yes, lack of funding. Many people don't prefer
to spend around $400 USD for the program unless
they have a lot of money, or need it for
professional/ business purpose.

Of course, if you want to download it nice
and cheaply, you can get a copy through
Kazaa, although it isn't the most 'ethical'
decision. (then again, either you're spending
$400 or so on flash or lego..decisions,
decisions...:)

I've seen a few flash-only sites, but not as
many as I'd expect.

When the program gets cheaper and more people
ar introduced to those technologies, expect
an influx.

What program do you use?  I am currently using a
demo of SWiSH 2.01, and plan to buy the full
version in a few weeks.  I don't have enough
money to buy the $500 macromedia Flash>  :)

Well, I don't use flash, but I'm considering
moving my site from lugnet's FTX basis
eventually to HTML. (Reminds me, the animation
course I signed up for in college has an
emphasis on flash. I'll start next year,
hopefully...)

I have trouble displaying Flash in a webpage.
The flash works fine when in 'preview mode' i
n IE, but when I try to enter the generated
code into HTML it just loads and loads for
ever, never actually finishing.

Is the speed of your connection an issue? If
you have dial-up or cheap DSL connection,
that might pose some problems right there...

Do you have any more comments about Flash?

I should pick up a version myself and mess with
it...

You can find the SWiSH Demo at www.download.com

-JHK, who is too lazy to learn HTML.

<<_Matt Hein_>>