 Publishing / HTML / 279
Re: Flash questions
Newsgroups:
lugnet.publish.html
Date:
Thu, 13 Feb 2003 01:40:31 GMT

In lugnet.publish.html, Richard Marchetti writes:
In lugnet.publish.html, John Henry Kruer writes:
Hello, all.  I've been thinking about making a sight using only Flash.  I'm
too lazy to do HTML, and Flash is much easier and cooler.  :)

AHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHA!!!

Sorry, but that seemed a real contridiction there -- I have played with
Swish, Flash, and HTML in my time and I cannot see how HTML could be much
easier and accomplish what it does at the same time.

Well, maybe not as time efficient, but it allows you to make much more
flexable websites with cool side-effects.

But, I have a few questions before I go and buy a real program instead of a
demo. Why don't more people use Flash?  Is there a secret problem or
limitation lurking out there?  I've seen a few flash-only sites, but not as
many as I'd expect.

Right.  That's because Flash simply will not work for some people on some
systems -- or because they do not wish it to work even if it could!  Flash
requires a plug-in for most browsers and when browsing from site to site to
site, if you don't have the most recent version of Flash you will need to
upgrade to it.  Most people find that tiresome when you could just throw up
a nice jpeg or gif image instead of a .swf Flash file.

Is this really that much of a problem these days?  I mean, can anybody surf
the net properly and not eventually get flash?

If someone is browsing via dial-up you can forget it if you think they are
going to upgrade to the latest and greatest Flash plug-in, it is probably
too much trouble just to see someone's webpage. Even if a person doesn't
need anything and they are 100% ready to go to your page and view it -- if
they are on dial-up the load time of your animations, page after page, will
wear them down.

I've made my webpage with no animation at all, just text and rectangles and
buttons.  Each page is around 6 or 7 kilobites, though if you have more then
one page in a movie all the 'similar' things like a nav bar and title are
already loaded.

The only pages bigger then 6 or 7 kilobites are those with thumbnails to my
brickshelf pictures, and you would have to download them temporarily anyway
using HTML.

The bottom line is load time for a page -- if it takes too long people have
a tendency to click those browser buttons and go someplace else.

It loads in an instant with me, even if my internet gets really slow.  (Like
6 kilobites/second.  And they call it high-speed cable?  Traffic really gets
to it.)

What program do you use?  I am currently using a demo of SWiSH 2.01, and
plan to buy the full version in a few weeks.  I don't have enough money to
buy the $500 macromedia Flash>  :)

While it's not the only program to use you would probably want Flash.  If
you wanted the second place program of its type you might use LiveMotion
from Adobe (I think it creates swf files, but I am not actually 100%
positive of that fact).  Swish is mostly for quick and dirty text and static
image stuff -- and at that level, maybe it's okay. I really don't know.

That's what I would use mainly for my page, just text and images.

-JHK, who is too lazy to learn HTML.

That right there should tell you something...

But if you think you still want to do it the "right" way -- try this site:

http://www.glassdog.com/design-o-rama/index.shtml

Thanks for the link.  It's a helpful site.
<snip>

I'v started a Flash poll.  Please fill it out to help my decisions.  :)

-JHK (who is probabbly going to go on with his flash page anyway)