 Publishing / 81
Re: Picture file sizes
Newsgroups:
lugnet.publish
Date:
Fri, 23 Oct 1998 14:37:30 GMT

   > How about file sizes for animations?  What's the best file type
   > to use which will balance quality and size?

Just as a rule of thumb, you should allow 1 second of download time
for every 1K on your page (including the HTML file itself).  A 56K
modem is only capable of abour 4 or 5K per second, MAXIMUM.  So
if you figure in network delays, server delays, and image
decompression time on the user's computer, you get about 1K per
second.

It's then up to you to decide how long you want your viewers to
wait.  So add up all the images, animations, and stuff on your page
and see if they fit under whatever you feel is a good download time.
As a generality, I personally try to keep a page under 30K, total,
espescially if my  main group of users are modem-based.  (Like lego
nuts mostly are.)

But if you have a really cool image that you think is work the wait,
then that's probably fine.  But if you just have a ton of, say, gaudy
icons and animated "email me" buttons, then people will get frustrated
and leave your site before seeing what you have to share!

People will expect a long wait if they're grabbing a page of
thumbnails, but not if they're going to a list of links.

   > Is animation even worth adding?  I've been playing around with
   > animation of pov scenes, but the files get large pretty quick.

Sure, the web is all about distributing media to the masses!  But
be careful how you go about doing it.  If you have an animation
embedded in the middle of a page, a user might not be too happy
waiting for that 200K to load if all they wanted to do was click
on some other unrelated link, like "mail me" or something.

But users ARE often willing to wait even several *minutes* for an
animation if it's something they've chosen to see (from a link).

Sean

Sean M. Kenney
Webmaster, onehealthbank.com Inc.