 Publishing / 64
Re: Picture file sizes
Newsgroups:
lugnet.publish
Date:
Sat, 17 Oct 1998 19:18:53 GMT

Terry K <legoverse@geocities.com> wrote:
Nah, not even then.  If the picture is something you want people to
see, you should not subject them to a huge file.  It's just not

It's not a matter of "subjecting to", it's a matter of "offering the option
of".

necessary to have really large jpg file sizes.  Show me a 640x480 200K
jpg file, and I bet you it could be reduced down to less than 50K and
still keep virtually the same apparent quality.

In a lot of cases, probably. But I think you're over-generalizing --
consider for example the images at
<http://www.legomindstorms.com/press/order.html>, which are designed for
transfer to another medium. In that case, it's quite reasonable to provide
larger, higher-quality images. And I'm sure there's other cases.