 Publishing / 481
Re: possible to break out of someone's frame?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.publish
Date:
Fri, 21 May 1999 18:46:42 GMT

In lugnet.publish, cjc@NOSPAMnewsguy.com (Mike Stanley) writes:
Ok, I have a problem.

I want to be able to break out of someone's frame when they link to my
page, rather than have my page show up inside their box.

Is that possible to do on my end, or am I going to have to find a way
to force them to change their link?

Mike,
It's possible to kludge up a frames-detector-and-breaker via client-side
JavaScript embedded in your HTML pages.  It won't protect you from frames-
abuse 100% of the time, but I suppose that most visitors running a browser
that supports frames these days will also be running a browser that supports
JS (so long as they haven't disabled it), so at least you're partially
protected.

Here's one thing you can embed in the <HEAD></HEAD> portion of your pages:

   <SCRIPT LANGUAGE="JavaScript"><!--
   if (top.location != self.location) top.location =
   "http://foo.foo/some.other.page.on.your.site";
   //-->
   </SCRIPT>

That would be if you wanted to display, say, an error page to the user -- or
some other info page -- if the linker linked you into a sub-frame.  OTOH, if
you wanted instead to simply to reload the target page at the top level
silently, you could do this:

   <SCRIPT LANGUAGE="JavaScript"><!--
   if (top.location != self.location) top.location = self.location;
   //-->
   </SCRIPT>

But IIRC, last fall when I did that on a couple pages, several people
reported that it caused MSIE to go into an infinite reload loop.  :-(

--Todd

p.s.  Disclaimer:  I'm not a JS expert, so neither of these is probably the
most preferred or robust solution.