 Publishing / 4524
Re: Brickshelf Viewer
Newsgroups:
lugnet.general, lugnet.publish
Date:
Wed, 10 Mar 2004 19:41:13 GMT

In lugnet.general, Tim Courtney wrote:
In lugnet.general, Kevin Loch wrote:
In lugnet.general, Larry Pieniazek wrote:

Now if only BSV could surmise real name data and contact info ;-)

Perhaps there is a way to have it get at the LUGNET cross reference info?

The reason the "real name" info was removed was to comply with COPPA.

I understand your desire for compliance, but perhaps a better move would have
been to allow people to opt-in and allow their real names to be posted.

The (unintended, I'm sure) consequence of dumping realname data is now its much,
much more difficult to find peoples' creations on BrickShelf. I familiarize
myself with real names, not so much with usernames.

I'd just like to add my name to the list of those suggesting an option to opt in
to allow their real name to be poated.  I always try to give proper credit when
citing a MOC either in a discussion or if I want to borrow a design idea, but
have no option to do so if someone's username is unintelligible.  Many times
I've seen something cool on Brickshelf and run over to Lugnet or Classic-Castle
or FBTB to discuss it, and then someone responds with "actually, that's mine".
If I knew the real name, I would know whether they were a member of the forums,
and I would wait for them to make their own announcements.  I'm sure many AFOLs
would happily take the option to use their real name, while others would want
the privacy, and kfol names could be automatically kept hidden to protect
minors' identities (an understandable and laudable goal).

Another possibility would be if there was some way for someone to change their
user name to something readily recognizable (I use my last name, for instance)
without messing up links.  Perhaps there already is such a feature?

Bruce (Hietbrink)