 Publishing / 4523
Re: Brickshelf Viewer
Newsgroups:
lugnet.general, lugnet.publish
Date:
Wed, 10 Mar 2004 19:33:44 GMT

In lugnet.general, Bram Lambrecht wrote:

The reason the "real name" info was removed was to comply with COPPA.

Could we have an option to leave it in?  I find it very difficult to find
anyone's directory with the real name removed.

Sure, if we could verify that the user was over 18 (or 13 with parental
consent).  Unfortunately the only acceptable ways to do that are to
take credit cards or use written letters.

Much improved?

Here's what I see:

Pros:
selectable number of images per row
selectable number of rows per page
large image resize function

selectable thumbnail size with autosizing directory names

customizable recent menu (using customview.cgi)...it would work even better if
customview had an "exclude" feature instead of just "include"

Customview has always had an "exclude" feature.

The first four "include" and the first four "exclude" arguments are operated on.

slideshow feature for clickless browsing (this is incredibly easy to implement
if you already have next/previous links)

I missed that.  Thats neat.

easier to see/access next/previous links in folders

Yes, I realize that is a problem.  Especially now that folder
views are currently 48 per page max.

Cons:
slower reponse (by using php plus having to query the actualy site)

Well, if Brickshelf content was shared, that wouldn't be an issue.  The only
thing that really takes a while is getting the caption for the folder or
interpreting a .cgi link.  The .sizecache access is fast.

We actually had an rss feed working at one point.  Peeron has a
sidebar that works great.  The big difference being that the sidebar links
directly to the Brickshelf page displaying the folder instead
of displaying the content wholesale on peeron.com.  I'll check
out the discussions on legofan.net and see what we can do.

"recent" view includes avatars

That's just because customview.cgi doesn't have an exclude.  The default
recent.cgi should be exactly the same as Brickshelf's.

http://www.brickshelf.com/cgi-bin/customview.cgi?exclude=Avatar
has always worked :)

KL