 Publishing / 4519
Re: Brickshelf Viewer
Newsgroups:
lugnet.general, lugnet.publish
Date:
Wed, 10 Mar 2004 19:08:50 GMT

In lugnet.general, Kevin Loch wrote:
In lugnet.general, Larry Pieniazek wrote:
In lugnet.general, Tim Courtney wrote:
In lugnet.announce, Bram Lambrecht wrote:
http://www.asphodel.org/bsv/

The reason the "real name" info was removed was to comply with COPPA.

Could we have an option to leave it in?  I find it very difficult to find
anyone's directory with the real name removed.

Much improved?

Here's what I see:

Pros:
selectable number of images per row
selectable number of rows per page
large image resize function

selectable thumbnail size with autosizing directory names

customizable recent menu (using customview.cgi)...it would work even better if
customview had an "exclude" feature instead of just "include"

slideshow feature for clickless browsing (this is incredibly easy to implement
if you already have next/previous links)

easier to see/access next/previous links in folders

Cons:
slower reponse (by using php plus having to query the actualy site)

Well, if Brickshelf content was shared, that wouldn't be an issue.  The only
thing that really takes a while is getting the caption for the folder or
interpreting a .cgi link.  The .sizecache access is fast.

"recent" view includes avatars

That's just because customview.cgi doesn't have an exclude.  The default
recent.cgi should be exactly the same as Brickshelf's.

no color coded directory/file names

Easily fixed in CSS.

no filenames at all

That has been fixed.

does not work in Netscape 4.x (and probably other legacy browsers)

Netscape 4.x is the buggiest CSS browser in existence, but with some work
arounds, you could at least turn off the CSS for it.

I won't comment on the page design since that is subjective
and I'm admitedly biased :)

Well, the code for content and display are separate, so you could easily create
your own prefered interface.

Granted the 3 new features above would be nice, and if there is
enough demand for them I will certainly make them a priority.

Great!

While I greatly appreciate constructive criticism of the Brickshelf
design, this is the wrong thing to do.

Well, I and others have made comments and suggestions several times before but
never gotten a response.  Replying to your email would be a nice start.
--Bram