 Publishing / 3769
Re: Unviewable page, useless warning (Was: UCS TIE Crawler)
Newsgroups:
lugnet.publish
Date:
Mon, 16 Sep 2002 23:53:08 GMT

In lugnet.publish, Jeremy H. Sproat writes:
In lugnet.publish, David Eaton writes:
Wow. That's really wacky Javascript. I'm really rather amazed that Homestead
makes such awfully complex Javascript for such an apparently small effect.

What does it do, anyway?

I didn't go nuts investigating, but it looked like it preloads the images
into Javascript objects, creates links around each image, then each link has
an onmouseover/onmouseout that affects the contents of the image within the
link. Meanwhile the default for the image is incorrectly resolved to some
image that doesn't exist (I assume it's given by the user, but who knows).
Really over-complicated.

I suppose I could see the logic behind doing it, since it leaves potential
for other various options... But from my perspective, it just gives it more
things to go wrong...

I assume that Jeremy
can see the main page's images fine (they don't seem to have the same
Javascript).

Nope.  Nothing but a black b/g with a grey grid and grey stars.  And the
black-on-black <noscript> text that is visible only before the background
image loads.

Huh... So, what do you see for his UCS TIE Crawler page?

http://acpinlego.homestead.com/UCSTIECrawler.html

I assume the same thing? Could be the stylesheet definitions at the top of
the page, perhaps, as it gets set within Javascript at the document top... I
dunno... I'm rather unfamiliar with stylesheets... However, it appears that
it dynamically adjusts the stylesheet according to browser type within
Javascript. Odd.

DaveE