 Publishing / 3068
Re: Problems with website publishing
Newsgroups:
lugnet.publish
Date:
Tue, 1 Jan 2002 01:24:12 GMT

In lugnet.publish, Curt Tigges writes:
In lugnet.publish, Allan Bedford writes:
In lugnet.publish, Curt Tigges writes:
In lugnet.publish, Michael Golaszewski writes:

<snip>

You may also need to be careful when naming your directory.. ie: one of them
ends with ".web" , but it is a directory though, so maybe change it to
remove the " . "

What directory are you talking about? The one on my computer?

Both the one on your PC, and the one on the server.

Ah. Now I understand. It did end in .WEB, so I guess I'd better change it.

OH, NO!!!!!! I just realized that changing the name of the folder involves
repairing TWO-HUNDRED AND EIGHTY-FOUR LINKS manually!!!!

If this is to be a simple set of webpages, then do yourself a favor and keep
all the files in one directory.

Actually, both unfortunatly and fortunatly, it is not a simple set of
webpages. It contains 172 files, including 140 pictures and 16 pages. But,
all the files are in one directory (UnitedLF.WEB) or a subdirectory of
UnitedLF.WEB.

But remember that some HTML programs will
read in the path to the file on your own computer and put that in the code.
This becomes something called an 'absolute path'.  What you really want is
something like the example I described above, which is called a 'relative
path'.  The idea being that the code works equally well on both your PC and
once the files have been uploaded to the server.

Does that mean that I need to change the internal links in my website to the
full internet path?

Curt Tigges
The guy who will probably never have a website :-)