 Publishing / 3041
  From Screen to Paper Printing (PPI/DPI Question)

Hey Y'all: I have a project created in Ldraw/POV-Ray of which I would like to create a higher (PPI/DPI) resolution image of approximately 8" x 8". I'd like to be able to achieve something like 600-1200 ppi for the final image printed on paper. I (...) (23 years ago, 18-Dec-01, to lugnet.publish, lugnet.general, lugnet.cad.ray)

  Re: From Screen to Paper Printing (PPI/DPI Question)

You need to create an image in POV-Ray that's at least 4800 x 4800 pixels. You can't/don't need to set the ppi in POV-ray. Then make sure your image program prints it at 600 dpi (do _not_ resample the image). You're weren't asking how to create (...) (23 years ago, 18-Dec-01, to lugnet.publish, lugnet.general, lugnet.cad.ray)

  Re: From Screen to Paper Printing (PPI/DPI Question)

(...) POV doesn't have a 4800x4800 option in the Render>Edit Settings/Render window, so here's how to get it listed there. Go to your POV directory, and then to the 'renderer' subdirectory. Open quickres.ini At the bottom, create a new entry (copy (...) (23 years ago, 18-Dec-01, to lugnet.publish, lugnet.general, lugnet.cad.ray)

  Re: From Screen to Paper Printing (PPI/DPI Question)

(...) Many thanks, Tim -- this is exactly the help I needed. So easy too! Now I just need a place online to house a 65-70 MB 600 ppi file of my "Joined" hands -- now suitable for printing! -- Hop-Frog (23 years ago, 19-Dec-01, to lugnet.publish, lugnet.general, lugnet.cad.ray)

  Re: From Screen to Paper Printing (PPI/DPI Question)

(...) :-) (...) If you intend it for others to print, why not just provide the POV file and a link to the instrucitons I gave you for rendering it big? Let them render it and print it, save yourself the time transferring that 70MB file and the (...) (23 years ago, 19-Dec-01, to lugnet.publish, lugnet.general, lugnet.cad.ray)

  Re: From Screen to Paper Printing (PPI/DPI Question)

(...) The typography, Man! It is the typography that compels me! -- Hop-Frog (23 years ago, 19-Dec-01, to lugnet.publish, lugnet.general, lugnet.cad.ray)

  Re: From Screen to Paper Printing (PPI/DPI Question)

What kind of extraordinary printer do you have ??? Even with good inkjet photo printers (with so called 1440 dpi resolution, which is actually dot placement resolution), you can't see improvements above 200 dpi... To be conservative, your image (...) (23 years ago, 19-Dec-01, to lugnet.publish, lugnet.general, lugnet.cad.ray)

  Re: From Screen to Paper Printing (PPI/DPI Question)

I have been pondering this point for years, but don't know much about the half toning for CMYK ink mixing algorithms. Is this something you know about? Can you share some more info and or links to pages that explain the difference between printer (...) (23 years ago, 19-Dec-01, to lugnet.publish, lugnet.general, lugnet.cad.ray)

  RE: From Screen to Paper Printing (PPI/DPI Question)

(...) You may want to make it 6400x4800 or 4800x3600 so that the render isn't distorted. If you want a square picture, you will need to modify the camera object so that it renders to a square aspect ratio. Millions of pixels also take a while to (...) (23 years ago, 19-Dec-01, to lugnet.publish, lugnet.general, lugnet.cad.ray)

  Re: From Screen to Paper Printing (PPI/DPI Question)

Steve, I can explain better using black and white printers; for color, just add four times the explanation. For a monochrome printer, there is a tradeoff between lpi and grayscales. If you have a 600 dpi printer, and you chose a 600 lpi screen, you (...) (23 years ago, 19-Dec-01, to lugnet.publish, lugnet.general, lugnet.cad.ray)

  Re: From Screen to Paper Printing (PPI/DPI Question)

(...) I may still be confused slightly. From that article I gather that no printer (professional printing device) cares about anything above 200 LPI. The article further claims that one would generally want to print from an image 2 times the desired (...) (23 years ago, 19-Dec-01, to lugnet.publish, lugnet.general, lugnet.cad.ray)

"Bram Lambrecht" <bram@cwru.edu> wrote in message news:000001c188be$d8...1681@bl... (...) Good point. Since I've never tried to render a square image, I've never run across this. I'm curious though, why do you need to do this? I figured it would be (...) (23 years ago, 20-Dec-01, to lugnet.publish, lugnet.general, lugnet.cad.ray)

  Re: From Screen to Paper Printing (PPI/DPI Question)

(...) No, Bram is 100% correct -- the resulting image is distorted unless I account for the proportions of the image POV expects to render. -- Hop-Frog (23 years ago, 20-Dec-01, to lugnet.publish, lugnet.general, lugnet.cad.ray)

  RE: From Screen to Paper Printing (PPI/DPI Question)

(...) No, POV-Ray's rendering engine doesn't really care what the dimensions of your image are. It only cares about what you tell it the aspect ratio is. If you render with a default camera (4/3 ratio) to a square output image, you'll get an image (...) (23 years ago, 20-Dec-01, to lugnet.publish, lugnet.general, lugnet.cad.ray)

  Re: From Screen to Paper Printing (PPI/DPI Question)

Thanks everyone for those great explainations. And the graphic web link had a lot of good info on the LPI-DPI-PixRes descriptions. BTW Here's a 18" x 24" poster I made using MLCad + WinPOV + Power Point www.brickshelf.com/c...gi?i=94099 Each step's (...) (23 years ago, 24-Dec-01, to lugnet.publish, lugnet.cad.ray, lugnet.trains)