 Publishing / 2659
Re: Compact Flash vs SmartMedia?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.publish
Date:
Mon, 1 Jan 2001 04:17:37 GMT

In lugnet.publish, Tim Courtney writes:

Opinion time:
Compact Flash vs. SmartMedia?  Which is better and why?  I currently own a
camera (Olympus Camedia 360-DL or something like that) which uses SmartMedia.
Its smaller and lighter than Compact Flash, it looks newer (but I may be wrong),
and I think they're priced about the same.  Which direction are cameras moving
in?  I notice the Coolpix uses Compact Flash, and eventually I would like to buy
one of those (but it won't be for a while).  After already spending an extra $60
on SmartMedia, I'm reluctant to move to a different format.  I am interested in
hearing what others think of the two formats and their reasons behind their
opinions.

-Tim

Hmm, Well my RCA Lyra MP3 player has a 64MB Compact Flash memory card and
used to write the entire thing full of mp3 in about 10-20 seconds! (That is
if I'm remembering correctly, one of the pins on the reader that attaches to
the CF card is broken off :-(. I tried getting a new reader but it was USB
and the older was parrellel/keyboard and it didn't work.  The player requres
you to use Real Jukebox to write MP3's to the card because it encodes it in
some dumb format... I tried just dragging a mp3 in with my computer but that
didn't work due to the encoding junk, so I wonder, if I get another CF
reader that uses the parellel/keyboard conection, will it work?)

I got a great Sony digital camera for christmas (not as good as you guys'
Coolpix's but good enough for me) that uses a sony memory stick and
unfortenatly only come with a 4Mb one :-( I would have real happy if it used
CF but oh well...

--Kyle
http://hvl.cjb.net