 Publishing / 2655
2654  |  2656
Subject:
Compact Flash vs SmartMedia? (Was: Re: Bullet Train)
Newsgroups:
lugnet.publish
Date:
Sun, 31 Dec 2000 19:33:20 GMT

Matthew Miller <mattdm@mattdm.org> wrote in message
Larry Pieniazek <lpieniazek@mercator.com> wrote:
it had a bigger zoom ratio. The way you unload pictures is well thought out
but 115kbps makes for a slow process, it takes 30 min or so (and most of a
battery charge) for a full unload. This makes it somewhat impractical to
unload if both the PC and the camera are on batteries at the time unless
both are fully charged or close...

Yeah, this is why having a PCMCIA slot is so nice -- takes like 10 seconds
to copy everything off of a 32MB card. Compact flash is cool because it is
electronically exactly PCMCIA -- all you need is a cheap physical adapter.

Opinion time:
Compact Flash vs. SmartMedia?  Which is better and why?  I currently own a
camera (Olympus Camedia 360-DL or something like that) which uses SmartMedia.
Its smaller and lighter than Compact Flash, it looks newer (but I may be wrong),
and I think they're priced about the same.  Which direction are cameras moving
in?  I notice the Coolpix uses Compact Flash, and eventually I would like to buy
one of those (but it won't be for a while).  After already spending an extra $60
on SmartMedia, I'm reluctant to move to a different format.  I am interested in
hearing what others think of the two formats and their reasons behind their
opinions.

-Tim